Dr Mark Gardiner’s
River Witham Mud Cake
200g self-raising flour
225g caster sugar
25g cocoa, sieved
100g Stork baking spread 2 large eggs
150mls evaporated milk
25g Stork (as above)
25g cocoa, siev
2 tbsp evaporated milk
125g icing sugar, sieved
Chocolate, grated (or Cadbury's Flake)
150mls double cream, whipped lightly
1. Preheat oven, 180C/160C Fan/Gas Mark 4. Grease 2 8in/20cms round sandwich tins and line bases with non-stick paper.
2. Put all cake ingredients in a bowl and use electric mixer to beat until light and fluffy.
3. Divide mixture equally between the 2 tins, level tops and bake for 25-30 minutes, until well risen and shrunk slightly from sides of tin.
Turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.
4. Make the icing - put spread and cocoa in a pan and heat gently until spread melts, stirring continuously. Remove from heat. Beat in evap milk and icing sugar until mixture is thick.
5. Sandwich cakes together with whipped cream. Spread icing over top of cake. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.